Friday, June 17, 2011

Certum Est Quia Impossible Est

 certum est quia impossible est

It is certain because it is impossible. 

Again and again I refer to Latin as the dead language.  Again and again I’ve advocated that it’s not.  It is no longer a “used” language, other than in small circles and in the Vatican.  No one knows how it’s spoken; we have some great educated guesses though.  It has no prominence in most of society.   But is it really dead?
I hope that in my explorations I have proved the opposite. 

It may not be like Spanish or Italian or French.  It isn’t taught the same way as other languages.  It’s hard to find people who agree on the way to teach Latin because it isn’t spoken anymore.  The concentration in Latin is on the grammar.  What and how it is said, not how to actually say it.

My goal was to find relevance for Latin.  I believe I have.  It has many uses though it is unused.  In all of my previous posts I have found a use for Latin.  From something basic like language to the higher fields of medicine and law, Latin has infused itself into all of these.

I have only broken the surface of Latin hiding in our lives.  In video games, especially Japanese based games, they use Latin in their songs.  Harry Potter has Latin based words sprinkled throughout the book.  Disney’s Beauty and the Beast has a Latin saying in the beginning of the movie, “Vincet quia se vincet.”  Latin lurks in our language.  Latin sneaks into our modern media.  There is a high school that has produced two independent films completely in Latin.  Many stories by Dr. Seuss have been translated into Latin, along with Harry Potter and Winnie the Pooh.

Going back to the idea that everything that we do is like sales, feature, function, benefit.  What it is, what it does, and what it does for me.  Latin is a language spoken years ago and has still lingered in our language, grammar, history, law, and sciences.  Latin does many things; it depends on what you are looking for.  It makes up the basis of our medical and judicial jargon.  It is what gives us more abstract words.  It is a big part of our history.  What Latin can do for you is increase understanding in what is around you.  Your language, your future career, and is fun in a unique way.  There is always a thrill when you know something someone else doesn’t.  I love finding Latin sayings myself.

For now I will rest from this journey.  I may pick it up again one day but for now Latin can be found almost everywhere.  It’s still relevant in our lives today.  I like Latin and I hope to bring this to my future students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment