Saturday, June 4, 2011

Not Now, Go Away! Non Nunc, Is Abesse!


Out of everyone I talk to about my new found career move and what it entails my poor soon-to-be-hubby gets the brunt of my learning.  I have to apologize to him for what I have put him through.

Recently, he too has gone back to school.  Though he’s going back seeking his Master’s degree through the company he works for.  We both sit up late on the couch studying our respective fields.  He sits quietly studying numbers and equations I don’t quite understand.  At some point in time I will ask him what he is studying.  You learn the best by teaching so I have him explain it to me.  Generally, my eyes glaze over and I beginning to feel really stupid by the end of his lecture.  I know that it helps him solidify what he has learned.

Turnabouts fair play right?

If it’s done at an appropriate time then yes, all’s fair.  I have this really uncanny ability to catch him in the middle of important things. 

I know he cares that I’m learning and he does ask me how my studies are going.  He listens to what’s happening.  In the middle of our own studies on the couch, it is evidently inappropriate to burst out with, “Look at this word!  Can’t you see the English word?” 

or

Mittere it means to send. The double T turns into a double S and that’s where we get the English word mission.  Isn’t that neat?”

or

“Cupio, I want, wish, desire; concupiscence and cupidity come from this word.”

or even in texts

Bona fortuna. Te amo. Te faciam bene!

I know that I tend to burst out with these and more at inappropriate times.  Probably the time I have to apologize the most for would be him taking a practice GRE exam in the other room. 

It was on a Saturday.  I trudged into the living room to start work on my Latin homework that was due on Monday.  In the middle of my translation, the word dexter stops me.  Dexter what is that again?”  After a browse through the glossary, I find that it comes to mean, right as in right-side.  I can’t completely explain why but it delighted me.  Dextra manus,” right hand, hand is a feminine term in Latin.  After the first discovery I had to find out how to say left hand too, “Sinistra manus.”  I felt ecstatic, I understood these words and I put them together myself.  In my excitement and haste to show my new discovery, I forgot about the practice exam. 

I barge into the computer room.  I take two strides over to him and wave my hands at him.  While my right hands a moving blur, I blurt out “dextra manus.  Swinging my left hand to the front, I say “sinistra manus.”  Before he stops me I recite it again.  He looks at me with a “why in the hell are you bothering me with this now” expression on his face.  He calmly says to me, “Ellis, I’m taking a practice exam right now.  I’ll have to learn Latin later.”

His words cut through my excitement like a blade, I stammer, “Wha..oh sorry,” and shy away.

I’m sorry Sweety, I don’t seem to have the best timing when it comes to telling you about my studies.  I just become so excited.  If anyone deserves an apology for learning Latin though they don’t wish to, it is him.  Thank you for listening.

2 comments:

  1. Ellis, I feel for you and your husband. Going to school at any age is a pain and although teaching what you are studying does help a person solidify what they are learning in their minds it can tend to be a bit of a nuisance to whoever they are teaching. For instance, my fiance is a biology major and every time he starts talking to me about polypeptides and all things biology-ish I feel like a complete idiot and sit there trying to refrain from screaming. I know that talking about these things help him but honestly I know nothing about science and just wish he would stop talking about so I could feel like the smart one in the relationship for once. Either way I'm sure that your husband will willingly except you apology and will continue to make you eyes glaze over with late night math sessions, but hey? love makes you endure some crazy things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right, I want to be the intelligent individual once and a while. I thought it was funny. He had to admit to me after he took the GRE that my random spouting of Latin had helped him. Just in my bursts of Latin he actually picked up a few roots that helped him out on the GRE. He has forgiven me and we still sit and study. Now that he has actually completed the GRE, until he starts his Masters program he has to listen to more random Latin. "Amor omnia vincit" -Virgil (Latin saying: Love conquers all)

    ReplyDelete